Saturday, December 02, 2006

Destination Doha

Tomorrow I leave for Doha, Qatar to work for the Host Broadcaster on the 2006 Asian Games. It's been a while in coming....but finally I'm excited, and can't wait to be off.

Packing is a bit of a dilemma. It's Spring in Doha, but expected temperatures range between 20 and 30. In consideration of the local culture however, we have been discouraged from wearing: sandals, anything above the knee, anything shoulderless, tightly fitting, bright or low cut.
Unfortunately that pretty much discribes my entire 'usual' summer wardrobe right there!

As part of the DAGSB Uniform that we are required to wear, the women on the crew have been provided with a Shella (head covering). Apparently not required in the media towers or work venues, but should be on-hand if we are sightseeingand wander into a religious area.
Other tips we have been giving: Display no affection in public, showing the bottom of the foot is considered extremely offensive, carry toilet paper with you, do not use what may appear to be a urinal (probably a station for washing the head prior to prayer), and of course your left-hand should alway be used with caution!

There are 70 or so Canadians covering 3 venues. Not to mention a handful of Aussies I know that will bethere also....so I'm hoping to grab a social drink (or 2) in the Aussie bar that Dave has told me about!
I should go pack, I hope to blog while I'm away, depending on internet access....so come back often!
You can check out the official Doha Asian Games at:
http://www.dohaasiangames.org/

1 comment:

Murman said...

Have a woonderful time Susan. And oh yes, Happy Birthday!
Murman